Monday, June 13, 2011

Happy 91st Birthday, Ronald Searle!


Okay, so my birthday wishes are a few months old (Mr. Searle's birthday was March 3rd), but the reason I'm late is because I wanted to make sure ol' Ronald got our gift in the mail before I spoiled it on this blog.


You see, a few Pixarians collaborated on this birthday sketchbook. The volume contains original sketches and paintings from 70 artists including Teddy Newton, Ronnie Del Carmen, Erik Benson, Josh Cooley, Bill Presing, Emma Coats, Victor Navone, Mark Andrews, Enrico Casarosa and Pete Docter!


The watercolor-logged tome found its way across the Atlantic and now resides safe and sound in  the home of Mr. Searle, who sent us a lovely thank you note in return.

The note, along with the rest of the Pixar Searle tributes, will be posted on Matt Jones' blog. Enjoy, and once again: happy birthday one of the world's greatest illustrators!


11 days...

5 comments:

Megan Nicole Dong said...

That is too cool!!

Anthony Holden said...

This is such a cool idea. The best gifts are the most thoughtful ones.

And the ones with dinosaurs in them.

Matt Jones said...

Nice report Austin- I threw up a blog

http://happy91stronaldsearle.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Megan- I know! It was a huge honor. Searle is one of my top 10 artistic heroes.

Anthony- haha, man I'm using that quote.

Matt- glad to see the blog up! Thanks so much for organizing this, Matt.

Carrie Liao said...

What an awesome gift!

...and now I can't get the image of dinosaur schoolgirls out of my head. Smoking, painting their claws, and engaging in catty (raptor-y?) behavior.