Friday, July 25, 2008

EN GARDE!
I recently completed a stage combat course at Pixar (don't get excited, it's not research for a film or anything). I've got to say, swordplay is extremely fun and exhausting and I highly recommend it, particularly for any of you actors looking to take your skills to the next level. Our instructors, Dave Maier and Kristen Matia, had us perform the Mercutio/Tibalt duel in Act III of Romeo and Juliet at the end of the course. We altered the choreography from the Zeffirelli version that I have linked, but the clip gives a good sense of the two characters' personalities. I played Mercutio, which was a gas because he's a very jovial and arrogant swordsman. Plus he's got a fantastic death scene (spoiler alert!) where he curses both Romeo and Tybalt, "A plague o' both your houses!" Great stuff!
So if you ever attempt to sneak into Pixar, beware...we've got a team of vicious thespians guarding the compound.

"I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul who comes to that school looking for trouble."
--Charles Xavier



From left to right: Alden Chiew, Ross Dickinson, Dave Maier, Bruce Wayne, Tara Hernandez, Kristen Matia, Jose Ignacio, Erick Tryzelaar

2 comments:

intergalactic said...

Nerd?

Uh...yes I believe so.

;)

...i

shannon said...

Wow, now they need to teach a light saber training course:)